Moving to a new home can be an exciting time for you and your family. Maybe you’re finally getting the house with the pool in the backyard. Or perhaps you’re moving into a neighborhood that’s closer to work. But what to do with the security system back at your old house? Well, if you have a Protect America Alarm System, you can bring the system with you.
Home security isn’t something you should leave behind—especially when 3 out of 4 homes are expected to be broken into within the next 20 years. Unlike other security companies that make it a burden to transfer your system by charging you moving fees or by not letting you move your system at all, Protect America works with you to keep your new place secure.
No matter if you’re just getting ready to pack up and hire moving trucks or if you’re already settling into your new house, we can help you protect your home.
Before Moving Out Of Your Old House
Moving can be a hassle. Your to-do list will be extensive, there will be a lot of boxes to pack up and sort through, and you’ll often wonder if the whole process will ever end. Thankfully, moving your Protect America alarm system is something you can easily cross off your list of duties. Just follow these four steps:
- Let us know you’re moving
- Get a free easy move kit
- Disconnect your control panel
- Prepare and disconnect your sensors
Let Us Know You’re Moving
Reach out to us as soon as possible to ensure our monitoring station is able to place your account in TEST MODE. Setting your account on TEST MODE prevents false alarms.
Get a Free Easy Move Kit
Click “Manage Account” and then log in. Here you will find a form to request the relocation kit. Once you fill out the form and submit, we’ll be able to send you the moving kit. Each moving kit contains door and window stickers as well as a few tools that are there to help make your move run smoother.
Disconnect Your Control Panel
Next, you’ll need to head over to the control panel you’re transferring to your new home.
- Disarm your system.
- Unplug the control panel’s A/C adapter from the wall outlet.
- If you have the non-touchscreen system, locate the red wires on the back of the panel (if your panel is wall-mounted, these wires may be on the inside of the panel). If you have the touchscreen system, the wires will be on the inside of the system and will be black.
- Unclip the wires to power off the battery in the panel.
- Check that the panel is completely powered down by pressing a button or by pressing the screen if you have the touchscreen system. You should not hear any noise from the control panel.
Prepare and Disconnect Your Sensors
Don’t forget your sensors! To bring them along you must:
- Remove and label all of your sensors. Labeling your sensors will help you know where to mount these sensors in your new home.
- Remove the batteries from sensors that have their own internal sirens, such as: Smoke Detectors, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Touchscreen Touchpads, and Talking Touchpads.
Before Moving Into Your New House
Say you’re finally moving into your new home. After many hours spent packing up boxes and determining what to bring and what to donate, you’ve made it. Congratulations! To keep your new place secure, follow these steps:
- Check if you need a permit
- Let us know if you’re reinstalling your system
- Review our Quick Install resources
- Request a full system test
Check If You Need a Permit
Some states require a permit for your security system. Check with the law enforcement agency to see if you need one before settling in. Your law enforcement agency will also be able to provide you with the steps necessary for obtaining the permit. Next, be sure to save the permit number provided by the jurisdiction. Then log into your My Protect America account to manage or submit the permit number under the “Submit Alarm Permit” section.
Let Us know if you’re Reinstalling Your Protect America Alarm System
When it’s time to reinstall your system, keep us in the loop so we can verify your account is in TEST MODE. Test mode is required to prevent false alarms.
Review Our Quick Install Resources
If you’re unsure how to set up our security devices inside your new home, go through our Quick Install Resources. This literature will cover how to set up the alarm panel, door/window sensors and motion detectors within your new home. Don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our security experts if you need additional re-installation assistance.
Request a Full System Test
Finally, contact us to verify that each part of your security system is fully-functioning in your new home. After the test, your system will be removed from TEST MODE and will be ready to protect your home.
Have More Questions For Us?
Other common questions our customers have before making the big move are:
“What do I do with my equipment when I move?”
“Is there a charge to move my system from one location to another?”
The answer to the first question is simple: you take your equipment with you! The equipment is yours. Just be sure to follow the steps above and don’t leave any of the equipment behind.
Lastly, Protect America doesn’t charge its customers a moving fee when it’s time to relocate. Protect America alarm systems are wireless and therefore made for easy transportation.