If you want automated home security, then you can’t go wrong with Z-Wave or HomeKit. These systems are the best in home security automation, but you need a little more information before making an investment.
Both systems will secure your home and your family, but read on to find the system that fits you best. We’ll look at the pros and cons for Z-Wave and HomeKit to help you pick the package that’s right for you.
Z-Wave and HomeKit are leading the way in home automation.
Z-Wave technology allows you to secure and control your entire home from one central source (such as your Smartphone or computer). You can get Z-Wave Plus which has higher compatibility and security with Apple HomeKit. This is made possible by interconnecting devices throughout your home. Check out the details from the company or see our take.
- Products interconnect and are signal repeaters. That means the more devices you install in your home, the stronger your network becomes.
- Z-Wave signals can pass through walls, which makes it possible to secure more of your home.
- Z-Wave products link to one central location, making it easier to secure your home with one click.
- Z-Wave technology can accommodate extra-large homes and even businesses. Devices can easily communicate from 600 feet away, due to signal hopping, and a Z-Wave network can support as many as 232 devices.
- Devices are energy efficient.
- Z-Wave is user-friendly. It requires no complicated programming or cables.
- If you lapse in your firmware updates, Z-Ware devices can become susceptible to hackers due to issues with encryption.
- Z-Wave signals can’t pass through every type of wall, so this may not be the best option for your home.
HomeKit is Apple’s response to automated home security. Like Z-Wave, HomeKit allows you to secure and control all your devices from one central source. Find the details over at Apple, or check out our take. If you’re an Apple fan, then HomeKit could be the system for you.
- All of your Apple products can be controlled from a simple Home app that can be installed on a range of devices, including your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.
- HomeKit can be controlled through voice commands with the help of Siri.
- You can program HomeKit to perform some tasks automatically based on location, time, sensors, and occupancy.
- HomeKit is user-friendly. You download the app and then enter codes for compatible accessories. Easy as that. HomeKit will even recognize compatible accessories set up using other apps.
- Because your Home app speaks directly to the linked devices, there’s almost no limit to how far away you can be to control your home security.
- HomeKit is secured with encrypted communication, so you can be sure that you’re the only one who can control your home.
- It’s no secret that Apple intentionally slows down iPhones past a certain date, so trusting them with your home security might bring you pause.
- It might seem like a dream come true to link your phone, TV, and more to your home security. If you aren’t a die-hard Apple fan with only Apple products, then this could be a huge financial investment.
- HomeKit doesn’t allow full control of every device function.
For More Information
Both Z-Wave and HomeKit will secure your home, but the route you choose will depend on the products you already own and the financial investment you’re willing to make. Whatever your needs, if you’re interested in monitored home security, we can help. Get a free quote from Protect America. We’ll set you up with everything you need to secure the ones you love.