Whether you are buying your first home or renting an apartment, you must think about how to keep your home and your family safe. With a home security system, you’re on your way to making your life easier. But there may come a time when you feel that you no longer need a security system or a monitoring service. How would you go about canceling the service?
Reasons to Cancel Your Contract
Most people get a home security system and never think that there will be a reason to cancel their service. Here are a few reasons you may choose to discontinue your service.
- Moving – You may decide to move from your home or if you are renting, your lease may be up. When it’s time to go, some security companies will not allow you to transfer their devices. Some will even try to sell your contract to the new homeowners. If they don’t succeed, you’ll still have to pay for a service you aren’t using until the end of the contract.
- Financial – Money is a big reason many people decide to cancel their monitoring service. Some contracts start with a low introductory rate and then it increases after a certain period of time, usually within two years of service. You may be unable or unwilling to pay the enormous increase.
- Useless – You may hardly ever use the system. You may even live in a neighborhood that is mostly crime-free. So, you think that you’re paying for a service that is unnecessary.
How to Cancel Your Service
Bates Security does not disclose information to the public about their cancellation policies or service information. In order to cancel your service, you will need to contact the customer service center. Make sure you read over your account because if you are still under contract, you may have to pay a sizeable cancellation fee.
Switching Monitoring Companies
It might be better to switch home security companies than to just cancel your service altogether. There are a few things that you need to consider before canceling.
- Fees – Depending on your contract, you may have to pay an enormous cancellation fee if you end your contract early.
- Return of Equipment – Some companies give you the equipment for free as long as you have a service contract. Once the contract ends, you must return the equipment before a specific date or you will be responsible for the cost of the monitors, sensors, and control panels.
- Protection – You never know when an unexpected burglar decides to pay your home a visit. It’s better to have someone watching over your home when you’re away. For example, if you’re at work and a thief tries to enter your home, the monitoring company will be able to send emergency services to the residence quickly.
“Approximately 83 percent of the offenders said they would attempt to determine if an alarm was present before attempting a burglary,” according to a study conducted by the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology at the University of North Carolina.
Protect America is proudly one of the top-rated home security companies in the United States. Contact our offices today to receive a free quote for your home security needs.