Many customers report feeling "duped" by their Xfinity Home Security contract, provided through Comcast. Though the company does have a variety of packaging options (and offer fairly advanced technology), the company requires a minimum two year agreement. Furthermore, this contract can change and can require costly upgrades.
Why Would You Want to Cancel Your Xfinity Home Security Contract?
Though there are many alarm services that have deceptive pricing, the Xfinity Home Security system has an impressive selection of negative attributes. These include:
- Price increases throughout the two year contract. Though the buyer is required to maintain the system, the system price can actually increase.
- The cost itself is more costly than average to begin with. The Xfinity Home Security system is often sold as a package to customers that don’t know the cost of a home security system.
- Xfinity services are required. You may find that you can’t cancel your other Comcast services while you’re connected to Xfinity Home Security, leading to other cost issues.
What Are the Penalties for Canceling Your Contract?
"YOUR FAILURE TO MAINTAIN A BROADBAND CONNECTION COMPATIBLE WITH THE SERVICES, AS DETERMINED BY COMPANY IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, SHALL CONSTITUTE YOUR TERMINATION OF THIS AGREEMENT."
If you do not have broadband, your service will be automatically terminated — so you may not even have a choice in the matter.
How Can You Cancel Your Xfinity Home Security Contract?
As noted, your termination fee goes down the longer that you’ve used the service. If you have a preferred account and you’ve had it for a year, then you will need to pay $1,100 minus $400 to cancel the contract. If you can save money by switching to a competitor, $700 may be worth canceling the contract outright.
However, you may also be able to cancel the contract by arguing:
- That Xfinity did not offer the services you expected to be provided. Multiple customers report their Internet service going down and consequently their home security system not being available.
- Your contract was more expensive than expected. Xfinity does state they can increase their charges once per year, but this is expected to be a reasonable amount.
- That Xfinity cannot offer service in the area you’re moving to. If you’re moving and Xfinity does not serve that area, you should be able to cancel your contract.
Do you need more information about security systems or canceling your existing Xfinity Home Security Contract? Protect America may be able to help. Contact Protect America today to find out more.