It’s no secret the coronavirus outbreak is pulling society into unfamiliar and unprecedented territory. As the world around us continuously changes each day, it’s nice to know that a familiar product in our home can help guide us through the uncertainty. In this case, the device we’re talking about is the Amazon Echo Dot. Recent updates and integrations to the smart speaker makes it easier for families to get Amazon Alexa’s help.
But those wondering “what can Amazon Alexa do during the coronavirus outbreak” should know that you can only access most features after downloading the Amazon Alexa app. Some features also require specific Alexa skills you can download via the Amazon Alexa application.
Once the download is complete, you’ll have access to many different resources that keep you aware of important coronavirus updates. Some resources can help you take a load off, too.
Continue reading to review how Amazon Alexa can help during the coronavirus outbreak by providing you with:
- Informational and Relief Resources
- Safety Tips
- Productivity and Wellness Suggestions
Informational and Relief Resources
During the coronavirus outbreak, important updates will rapidly spurt from news outlets. The rate can be so fast that it almost becomes impossible to keep up with how the virus is impacting livelihood on a global scale, but also within your local community. Find the information you’re looking for with Amazon Alexa’s help.
- COVID-19 Updates: Stay aware of important information regarding the novel coronavirus by saying “Alexa, give me an update on COVID-19.”
- Store Hours: Know when you can pick up that carton of milk from the supermarket or other essential stores with Alexa. Recent adjustments to the Amazon Echo Dot help keep the smart speaker aware of changes to regular store opening or closing times. Alexa can also update you on store closures so you avoid making a trip to a store that’s closed.
- Save the Children/American Red Cross: You can help those impacted by COVID-19 with just the sound of your voice. Say “Alexa, make a donation to the COVID-19 response fund” to make a donation to Feeding America. You can also say “Alexa, make a donation to Save the Children.”
- Blood Donations: Donating blood can help save a life. If you’re motivated to do so, you can schedule a blood donation using Amazon Alexa. Just say “Alexa, open Red Cross Blood.” to get started.
- Homework/Coursework: Make sure your kids are completing their coursework during the coronavirus outbreak when you pair specific applications to your smart speaker. Tools such as Blackboard, Canvas, Coursera and Parent Square can integrate with your Echo Dot. So when your child is trying to sort through homework they can just say “Alexa, what assignments do I have due on Friday?” for clarification. Meanwhile, parents looking for a general overview of what their child’s workload looks like can say, “Alexa, are there any updates from school?”
Find useful safety tips from Amazon Alexa that can protect your family and home. The smart speaker can help you make protective gear, monitor your risk level for COVID-19 and more.
- Face Mask: The CDC has recently advised Americans to wear a face mask in public settings to reduce COVID-19 from spreading. Say “Alexa, how do I make a face mask?” and the smart speaker will provide recommendations from the Center for Disease Control.
- Risk Level: If you fear you or a loved one might have symptoms of the novel coronavirus, say “Alexa, what do I do if I think I have COVID-19?”
Alexa will follow up with a series of questions regarding your recent travel history, symptoms and exposure to the virus. You should seek the guidance of a medical expert or locate a testing center if symptoms worsen.
- Cleaning: You can do your part to defeat COVID-19 by staying home and also staying clean. Find helpful cleaning and disinfecting tips with your smart speaker by saying “Alexa, give me tips for cleaning.”
- Hand-Washing: The CDC recommends we wash our hands for 20 seconds to ward off germs and slow the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. But let’s be honest, your 20 seconds might be different from my 20 seconds. Find efficiency with Alexa by asking her to sing a song for 20 seconds.
- Social Distancing: Not sure why social distancing is so important during a pandemic? Or are you just not sure what you can and can’t do while social distancing? Don’t worry, Alexa has the answers. Just say “Alexa, what is the importance of social distancing?” or “Alexa, tell me activities I can do while social distancing.”
- General Preventative Measures: For resources and suggestions on measures you can take to avoid the virus say “Alexa, how do you prevent COVID-19?”
Productivity and Wellness Suggestions
With Amazon Alexa by your side, staying at home doesn’t have to dampen your productivity or wellness.
- “Stay at Home” routine: With social distancing and stay at home initiatives in place, many of us might find ourselves falling into a bit of a slump. Stay on top of your overall wellness with Amazon Alexa’s “Stay at Home” routine. This unique routine provides you with a fun fact as you start your day, notifies you when it’s time to grab lunch and alerts you when it’s time to plan dinner.
- “Work from Home” routine: Similarly, social distancing and stay at home initiatives are requiring a sizable portion of the workforce to work remotely from home. Stay productive while on the clock with Amazon Alexa’s “Work from Home” routine. Unique features include notifications when it’s time to start work, when to get up and stretch and more.
- Stay Connected: Check-in on your family and friends quickly with your Amazon Echo. All you have to do is say “Alexa, call ____.”
- Audible: Staying inside may finally provide you with the opportunity to finish that book that’s been sitting inside your Audible app for months. Listening to Audible may also provide a welcome distraction from the news circulating on your feed. Click here for a full list of commands you can use with Alexa to listen to your next great read.
- Meditate: These are stressful times for many. Schedule some time for decompressing with guided meditation from different Amazon Alexa skills like Headspace or Mindful Meditation. All you have to say is “Alexa, open Headspace” or “Alexa, open Mindful Meditation” to get started.
- General Entertainment: Staying inside is one of the best ways you can make a positive impact during the pandemic. However, after a couple of days, you might find yourself on the verge of cabin fever. Stay entertained and engaged with a little help from your Echo Dot. Say “Alexa, play music” or “Alexa, play Song Quiz” for the fun to begin.
Amazon Alexa Help Can Keep You Safe and Aware
We hope this list of resources helps you find comfort in knowing you already have a little something in your home that can, in just a matter of seconds, keep you aware during COVID-19. The device can also help you find a needed means of distraction. For more COVID-19 resources, browse our blog or check in with the CDC.