Think your data and online activity are totally secure? Do you consider your passwords uncrackable? Whether you feel like you’re a cyber security expert or you are embarrassed by how many accounts share the same password, we could all use some solid reminders about our security from time to time.
As the world has moved forward into the modern age, more and more of our lives are online. Even home security. Protect America has a web portal and even a mobile application. These are portals and access points to your most personal spaces and most valuable property. If these online accounts are compromised, so is your home security system.
Cyber security directly affects all of us. How many of these can you check off in your day-to-day?
Cyber Security Checklist
- Lock your computer every time you step away from it.
- Keep your firewalls on.
- Backup your important data, ideally in two separate physical locations.
- Use a password manager for your vital accounts.
- Change your passwords for everything regularly.
- Never share your passwords with anyone else.
- Tape a piece of paper over your webcam (to ensure that no one can see anything through it unless you are actively using it.
- Don’t open attachments, click links, or accept files from anyone you don’t know.
- Secure your home Wi-Fi router.
- Enable two factor authentication wherever you can.
- Utilize both anti-virus and anti-malware software.
- Use a VPN when using public Wi-Fi connections.
- Consider using a hard-to-guess recovery email address that you do not use for communications or anything other than password recovery.
- Encrypt everything you can.
- Always scan removable media (USB sticks, external hard drives, etc) before accessing them.
- Disconnect your computer from the internet when you aren’t using it.
Consider adopting some of these good practices in your daily life! If you want any more information about any of these topics, click any of the links above for full blog posts about each highlighted tip. Stay safe and secure!