Home security isn’t really just about having the right equipment. Its value comes with how you use it. True home security is about commitment to habit. It doesn’t matter how fancy your alarms are or how many sensors you have if you don’t turn them on. It’s a team effort that your entire household needs to dedicate themselves to, since consistency is key. Even if you think you’re reliably safe, and you keep your home consistently secure, we can always use reminders now and then. So take a quick look through this list of good home security habits. How many of these do you regularly check off?
Home Security Good Habits Checklist
- Regularly lock your doors and windows.
- Regularly arm your home security system.
- Lock your car as soon as you leave it.
- Keep your car in a garage, if possible.
- Never leave any vehicle running when you are not in it.
- Do not keep spare keys outside. If you want a backup key outside of your home, give one to a trusted neighbor instead.
- Make sure home security yard signs and/or window decals are visible so that they can serve as a deterrent against potential burglars.
- Keep some lights on if you leave your home at night to make the house seem occupied. Keep drapes open during the day.
- If you are leaving for an extended period of time, cancel newspaper and other regular deliveries. Ask the post office to hold your mail, or ask a neighbor to pick it up for you.
- Mark valuable possessions permanently (e.g. engraving).
- Keep the pathways in your home clean and clutter-free. Ask children to pick up and put away their toys after they finish playing with them.
- Teach children not to answer the door or the phone unless an adult is present.
Share this with your family, neighbors, and friends! Good luck.