Cyberattacks occur every day. Third-party users collect and sell the information they collect about you, every time you go online. If you’re using the standard email and messaging apps that your devices provide, don’t rely on them being secure, especially if you use an easy-to-guess password or click on an unfamiliar link. This article contains a rundown of the best encrypted apps for keeping your texts and emails secure whenever you need to go online.
This encrypted messaging and voice-calling app provides end-to-end encryption to secure any communications you make on your mobile devices or computer. You can verify the identity of anyone who sends you a text message and determine the integrity of the channel they are using. Other features include:
- Encrypted video calls hold the same security level as its chat feature.
- App password, with a blocker that prevents screen scraping.
- Gives you complete control over what types of data you want to exchange over Wi-Fi and mobile data.
The only drawback to Signal is that both the sender and receiver need to have this app installed on their device for it to work. You can invite non-Signal users to an encrypted conversation via the app.
Made by the world’s most popular encrypted Internet browser, Tor Messenger is a secure text messaging app that offers a secure way to send messages across the Tor Network. It supports a variety of transport networks, such as:
- Google Talk
- Facebook Chat
The app also enables Off-The-Record (OTR) messaging for greater anonymity. It is Open Source, which means that it is free to download on your computer. As of this date, it is compatible with Mac OS, Windows and Linux platforms. Visit their blog to learn about any updates.
NordVPN (Virtual Private Network provider) offers many features that make it a must-have app for you and your family. They include:
- IP address protection
- Strict no logs policy to prevent tracking and monitoring
- Automatic Kill Switch keeps your sensitive data secure in the event of a VPN connection drop.
- DNS leak protection ensures 24/7 data protection.
- Onion Over VPN provides both anonymous surfing and the full protection of a VPN service.
- Browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox keeps your IP address secure with its encryption features.
- Secure up to 6 devices with a single NordVPN account
NordVPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS devices and many more. They offer an extensive tutorial section, with step-by-step instructions that will help both new and experienced users install and configure the app onto their computers and/or devices. Unlike Tor or Signal, you will have to pay a nominal monthly or annual fee for their service.
ProtonMail is another must-have app because it comes equipped with an encryption key and open source encryption libraries that makes your data inaccessible to the developers, as well as hackers and data collectors.
- Zero recording of IP addresses when you log into your account(s).
- Set an expiration time on encrypted emails to have them automatically deleted.
- SSL adds another layer of protection to guard against third parties who might intercept your information in a MITM (Man in the Middle) attack.
- Secure communication with other email providers, such as Gmail or Yahoo.
“Proton mail is very easy to use, free, and encrypts your email communications. We also had to contend with stolen passwords after using public WiFi at a technololgy event and frequently use a VPN now.” – WRAL TechWire
ProtonMail is very easy to use because there is nothing to install and no encryption keys to manage. It offers a simple, elegant interface that is easy on the eyes and optimized to help keep you organized and productive.
Are you interested in protecting your home or business from hackers, identity thieves and other undesirables? Then get a free quote from Protect America. We can offer a solution that suits your needs. Don’t forget to visit our blog, where you can receive helpful tips to keep your home and business safe!