Although this article was written nearly a year ago, the information it contains is still very useful.
The Ring Doorbell Cam was recently exposed to hacking in a case of a disgruntled ex-boyfriend watching through his access to the camera. If you have a security camera, it is important to know if it is being hacked.
Can your security camera be hacked? The answer is yes. Your security camera can be hacked, but don’t worry, there are several ways you can protect yourself. And no, this is not a guide on how to hack into security cameras.
How to Tell If Your Security System Has Been Hacked
There are several indicators that your security camera, baby monitor or nanny cam have been hacked. For example, you might hear unusual noises or voices coming from your IP camera or baby monitor. That’s one surefire way to tell if someone has hacked into your system. Other ways include your camera rotating while appearing to be following your movements around the room, if your security settings have been changed, if there’s an LED light randomly blinking, an LED light that’s illuminated, but you aren’t the one who activated that feature, and/or spikes in the data flow on your network and your camera.
Eight Ways to Help Prevent Your Security Camera From Being Hacked
The best way to prevent your security camera from being hacked is to take the following proactive measures.
- Always use secure passwords and ones that would be hard for a hacker to figure out. You should also change your password frequently. And never use the system’s default username or password.
- Select a brand name system from a company with a good reputation. Reading about the best security cameras is a good idea.
- Never buy a used security system.
- Limit the number of devices used to access your system. Only give your laptop, mobile device and desktop the capability of logging into your system.
- Never use public connections to access your home’s security system because they are not secure.
- Periodically check your logins and look for anything you don’t recognize.
- Always upgrade your firmware so you can check for fixes, improvements, and to help keep your features up-to-date.
- Buy an anti-jammer that will detect when the signal to your system has been intercepted by a jamming device and will alert you that your system has encountered a signal failure. This will allow you to respond immediately to correct the situation and protect your family and property.
Securing Your Network
It’s best to choose a wired system when possible because a wireless system is more vulnerable to online attacks from a hacker. However, if you are using a wireless system, make sure you activate the WPA2 encryption option that most security cameras come with. The WPA2 is a higher standard of security protocol and should always be used when installing a wireless security system.
What to Do If Your Security Camera Has Been Hacked
If your security cameras were hacked, you will need to update your firmware and contact your security company immediately. Doing these two things will help you correct the problem and secure the vulnerability.
According to the FBI’s annual report on crime statistics, violent crime increased for the second consecutive year, while property crime decreased for the 14th straight year. And, there were an estimated 17,250 murders in the U.S. last year, an 8.6 percent increase from 2015.
With these kinds of statistics, you really can’t afford to take any chances with the safety and security of you and your family which makes installing a new security system priceless.
If you would like a free quote for a new security system, please contact Protect America today.