The vast majority of home security users are bound to come across a scenario where they will want to bypass one (or more) of their sensors. To clarify, when we use the phrase bypass a sensor, we are referencing how to set up your security system so that you can open a door or window when your system is armed without the fear of sounding the alarm. We will walk you through how to bypass one (or more) sensors for home security systems anchored down with the following three panels: Simon XTi, Simon XTi-5 and IQ Panel 2.
Bypass a Sensor with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2
- Touch the circle next to a sensor to bypass it during the arming sequence.
- Yes – believe it, or not, the procedure to bypass a sensor with Protect America’s flagship panel is really that easy!
Bypass a Sensor with a Simon Panel
Simon XTi-5 Panel
- Press the GEAR icon;
- Press the SELECT button;
- Enter your MASTER CODE;
- Press the BYPASSED button next to each sensor that you wish to bypass; or press the NOT BYPASSED button next to each sensor you do not want to bypass.
If you’re more of a hands-on learner, you’ll want to check out the interactive digital simulation on the Interlogix website!
Simon XTi-5 (version 2)
- Press the Select icon to enter the sensor bypass screen1
Simon XTi Panel
- Open the doors and/or windows that you wish to bypass;
- Press the LOCK icon to arm;
- Press ARM ALL to arm (the system will sound the protest beep and display will state that there are open sensors);
- Press BYPASS to continue;
- Simon XTi system will then ARM per normal.
- Press the GEAR icon in the bottom right of the screen;
- Press SELECT next to the Direct Bypass line item;
- Press NOT BYPASSED button next to the sensor(s) you wish to bypass;
- Press CLOSE;
- Press CLOSE again to exit;
- Press LOCK icon then press DOORS and WINDOWS ONLY or ARM ALL to arm your system.
- Press BYPASS;
- Enter the MASTER CODE;
- Scroll up/down until you reach the sensor you wish to bypass;
- The display will show sensor name (ie Sn # Front Door) on the first line;
- Press ENTER to bypass (deactivate) the sensor;
- When a sensor is bypassed, the panel will display BYPASSED on the second line.
Helpful Info & Guides
- Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Guide (PDF)
- Simon XT Resource Collection (Web)
- Simon XT Quick User Guide (PDF)
- Simon XTi Interactive Demo (Web)
- Simon XTi Guide (PDF)
- Simon XTi-5 Guide (iBook)
- Simon XTi-5 (v2) Guide (PDF)
1A sensor can only be bypassed if actively armed