Google Home is a robust personal assistant tool that can also be used for fairly sophisticated home automation. But because everything used with Google Home has to be purchased separately, it can be difficult to create a complete system. If you want to automate your entire home, you may be better off purchasing a home automation system. A home automation system is a collection of automated features and services that are already well-integrated together.
The Advantages of Using a System
When automating your home, you have two primary options. You can purchase components piecemeal, to create a system that includes all the features you need or, you can purchase a complete system from the start. Purchasing a complete system has a few major advantages:
- Everything is already well-integrated. Rather than having to figure out which system will work with which, you’ll have a complete package that works well together.
- It’s less expensive. Purchasing all of the items together is usually less expensive than having to purchase each item separately.
- You get better support. You’ll only need to deal with one customer service department if you experience issues, rather than all of them.
- Installation is often easier. Many home automation systems offer installation services, whereas if you get components on your own, you need to install them.
All of this means that if you want a system up quickly and easily, you probably want to get one that’s already put together.
The Best Home Automation Systems for Google Home
If you’ve got a Google Home system, you may be wondering what you can connect to it. Google Home can operate as a central home automation hub — and that includes some great security features. In order to be used by a hub, though, the system itself has to allow integration with Google Home. So what are your best options?
- Nest. The Nest system began with just a thermostat, but it now includes security cameras, smoke detectors, lights, doorbells, and smart locks. The downside to the Nest solution is that many smart locks, doorbells, or lights need to be purchased as an add-on.
- Samsung’s SmartThings. With a home monitoring kit that comes with sensors, motion sensors, and outlets, the SmartThings kit is most useful for homeowners who are primarily concerned about the security components for automation. Samsung’s SmartThings is affordable and there’s an optional monitored security service.
- Vivint Home Security. Vivint has a complete set of home automation systems that work directly with Google Home. However, the downside to Vivint is that it can be expensive, especially if you decide to cancel; there is a lengthy contract required.
- Geeni Connected Tech. Geeni offers smart plugs, lighting, cameras, and power strips. Everything is generally modular, so you can pick and choose which features you want. All of the services can be used either through the Geeni app or through Google Assistant.
- Hive Home Automation. Hive has a full suite of security and smart projects, all of which can be used through Google Assistant. however, you are going to need to create some of the commands yourself, and there is a pricey monthly subscription service.
Choosing a Home Automation System
Before you make a choice, it’s a good idea to make a list of the features that you truly want in a system. From there, you’ll simply need to consider budget, installation, and maintenance.
Different systems will emphasize different aspects of home automation. For instance, the Nest is mostly focused on saving money and conserving energy, whereas the Samsung’s SmartThings package is concerned with security. It all depends on what is most important to you.
Aren’t sure where to get started? Protect America provides a wide variety of home automation services and can help you select the solutions best for you. Contact Protect America today to get started making your home smarter.